Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Monty Python and the Holy Grail


Starring: Monty Python! Who else!? Turns out it’s SIX guys, not four. That I didn’t know that is proof I’m not British, if it does nothing else. Also directed by two of them (Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones), so no need for a credit for that 
I’ve seen this quoted in person and on the Internet since I was ten years old, but it wasn’t ‘til this week that I actually experienced it. It’s like watching the original Star Wars - near EVERY scene in this film is a cultural touchstone. Bless 

I’m noticing there’s a lot of Englishmen in these reviews. There’s a lot of Morgan Freeman in later ones so maybe it’s just a phase.

Really quite funny. Like, really as funny as advertised. Like all comedies, the more people you watch it with, the better. It’s also only an hour and a half, so it won’t take all your night.

This was made for $400,000, and I’m gonna bet most of that went to camera and film costs, but you could’ve fooled me! It looks great!

This was made in 1975(!), so it pre-dates Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Excalibur, Harry Potter, the Narnia films, and basically all modern fantasy. There’s a scene that looks like it’s straight parodying The Lion King, but the Lion King must’ve been borrowing from Monty Python! Aside from the obviously comedic things, a lot of what we see IS fairly accurate to the mythology - knights can do whatever they want, everyone’s gaga for the Grail, the scientific process isn’t very advanced, and taking a shower isn’t the norm.


No comments:

Post a Comment