Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Directed by: James Gunn
Starring: The cast of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. Marvel is the most dominant film franchise on Earth, I feel like you'll already know the names. If you don't, just follow the link. 

I'm resharing reviews I wrote shortly after ending my mission and getting to watch movies and TV again. This review is extremely trimmed down compared to others, though, 'cause I wrote a LOT about this initially. I'm quite fond of it. 


Guardians 2 flipping killed it! 


I could talk about it all day, but wow. Just wow. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. 

What a great film! This really felt like it was a family movie, in that it was ABOUT a family. Critics said the plot felt a bit obvious, but obviousness doesn’t matter, execution does! And the film nailed execution in my book! 


This feels like the best possible prequel to Infinity War, because so much of that film was about Gamora’s feelings towards HER father, and THIS film is all about Star-Lord’s — and Rocket’s, and Yondu’s, oddly enough — feelings about THEIR fathers! They change some of the writing from the first movie to make that happen, but I didn’t like the first film as much, so I don’t mind! 


This has the best first fifteen minutes I've seen in a long time. Just wow. Going from a flashback with some character backstory and a story hook (young Kurt Russell!), to a big epic scene establishing the setting (giant space monster!) to a three-minute dance video with the awesome space fight ... AS BACKGROUND?!It’s like the writers are saying, “Guys, this is a comedy. Life is serious AND funny.” The confidence and resources it took to make that the starter for their many-million-dollar, summer tentpole movie and then pull it off is just amazing. And that scene has become a meme for that reason. 


I mostly like this film 'cause I watched it shortly after my mission, and the Guardians’ bickering reminds me of what trying to control a bunch of missionaries is like (although we’re a bit nicer)

Similarly, the main message of the movie felt like it was saying, “if you care about ANYONE, it’ll make a big difference, and if you don’t care about anyone, that’ll make a big difference too,” and that was probably one of the bigger lessons of my mission, since you need to care about the people you work around, or nothing is going to happen with them (some guys learn this BEFORE their missions). 

Overall, very good! Two hours and fifteen minutes (WITH credits, which you’ll wanna watch), so it’s already shorter than the last five or so movies Marvel has produced. Some snippy language, but you’re probably good for that. Looks amazing, sounds amazing, and is just a great time overall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment